The Frozen African

The Frozen African

Friday, February 3, 2017


First and foremost, Happy very belated Christmas and very belated Happy New Year !

Hope your holidays went well and relaxing !

Ours went well. It was nice for my mom to come from Ivory Coast and spend time with DJ. As for NYE, we went to bed before midnight, but it was nice to watch the Ryan Seacrest special for a bit.

Now, back to updates:

- the first week of September was the Russell Fair and it was the first time i have been there. DJ had a blast going on rides.

-Few weeks before DJ's birthday, i had 3 of my wisdom teeth removed (4th one was supposed to be removed, but it was too hard for dentist so i will remove it another time). I decided to stay awake during the procedure because going under terrifies me. The process went well, but i was quietly freaking out in the chair. After the removal, i was in deep pain. I had researched for weeks what would help me feel better and i decided to eat soft ice cream and Ensure meal supplement drinks all weekend.
Luckily, i scheduled the procedure on a Friday and DJ was in daycare so Guillaume was able to help me. During the weekend, my mother in law took DJ for a few hours and we had a babysitter on Sunday so i could rest.By Monday, i was starving. I think at one point, i started crying because all i wanted was to eat something. ANYTHING !! I took a few bites of food here and there, but chewing was still tough for me.
 I went back to work on a Tuesday, but i still a bit sore. It took me a few weeks to recover and finally eat normal food, but i'm glad this is done. I will probably go back to get my last wisdom tooth removed later this year.

- September 29, DJ turned 2. Compared to the party we threw for his 1st birthday, we decided to keep this one low key and just have G's parents come over and eat cake.

The difference between DJ at 1 and at 2 is astonishing. Now, he understand much more what we say and he is working on making full sentences. He is much more affectionate, so many smiles with a mix of tantrums. Oh yes tantrums ! We had all kinds: the throw himself on the floor, the deep sighing, and the loud crying. But i realised that now he is 2 yr and few months, we try to explain to him why we no and sometimes the tantrums stop, but other times it does not work. But we know that it shows improvement (i think) and most of the time now we see our little DJ turn into a child. HOW DID IT HAPPEN?!?! Yesterday, i had a slight panic because i realised that in 1 yr and half and our little DJ will be in kindergarten and i ALMOST started to cry ! Oy vey !

- Early October, we went to a food truck rally in Orleans and we had fun. I am obsessed with food trucks !! I ate one of the famous rice bowl from Angry Dragonz and it was delicious and so full !

Excited to see Chase !

- We spent Thanksgiving weekend with Guillaume's grandmother and mother in Mount Forest and celebrated my 31st birthday there. It was nice and relaxing.

- IT FINALLY HAPPENED !!  We dropped the side of DJ's crib. At first, we were waiting until he started to climb out of his crib to make the change, But then we realized that DJ liked when we were cuddling with him before putting him to bed. Sometimes it would be hard to put him back to bed because he wanted to keep being cuddled. So the change was purely our choice so we could cuddle a little bit with him in bed.

It actually went well and DJ was excited about his new "bed". We made sure to put a comforter down and we installed a pool noddle inside his crib sheet to prevent him from falling down.

Guillaume's shirt got wet when he took DJ from his bath

Everything went well. Then, a few days later....

We realized that we were cramped in his "bed" when we were cuddling at night and trying to "expertly" get out of the bed without waking up DJ was very hard !

So we decided to "adult" and actually buy DJ a new bed. This one actually transform from a toddler bed to a full size bed so he can use it when he gets older. Guillaume installed the bed when we went to visit grandma and when he came home, he was so excited ! No tears about the old one ! Bonus= he had his own blanket and pillow.

So now, he is fully transitioned to a big boy bed. YAY! Milestone completed !

Ironically, we learned few weeks later that IKEA recalled the SNIGLAR crib!!! (please see link if you have one and haven't done so yet ).
So we went back to IKEA, returned the crib (we received full refund for the price that we originally bought it 2 years), and bought a few sets of sheets the new bed.

So it was actually a pretty good decision to get the new bed early so it would have not been too much of a shock to DJ. Yay ! High fives all around !!

- After coming back from the wedding in Edmonton, my left leg started to be achy, but i thought maybe i needed to stretch more as DJ sat on me for a long time during the red-eye flight at night. I went to massage therapy (small relief) and acupuncture (worked for a few sessions and then it stopped).

Then, a month or so later, i turned in bed and woke up from a pain in my spine. I thought i twisted wrong (as it happened before, but this pain was more intense). I went to work and the pain intensified to the point i could not stand nor sit anymore. I was able to leave and drive slowly home. I called Guillaume at work and he left work to be with me. I took Advil and took a hot bath with epsom salt which helped for a bit, but as soon as i got up and laid in bed, the pain got tremendously worse. G called the Health Unit and they recommended that i go see my primary doctor within a few hours if the pain does not stop. Waiting was so painful and when we finally went to see the doctor, i started crying when i saw her because i was so done with the pain! All i wanted was for her to stab me with a needle with some sort of magical pain reliever. After examining me, she diagnosed me with a herniated disc and gave me prescription for pain meds. G drove fast to the pharmacy so i could get some relief. I laid in bed for the rest of the day and tried to relax.

For weeks, i tried to find a treatment that would work without meds and physiotherapy was one that helped the most (using orthopedic insoles from the podiatrist also helped as a secondary treatment). I have been doing physio for months now and it is feeling much better than it was before.

-Unto the "nerdy" part of our lives, we started to play a cooperative game called Pandemic: Legacy around mid October. If you are not familiar with the game, the point is to eradicate diseases on the board with the help of other players as different events unfold. It is so fun and very strategic. The Legacy part takes place over the period of a year and so many things happen, and you have to try to win every month or you have to re-do it (with a maximun of 2 tries) before you can move on. Currently, we are on July month and trying desperately to move on lol !

Sorry ! I have been so slow to update the blog, but i promise i have a lot of things to talk about but be patient with me and i will explain everything !!

Have a great weekend everybody !!


  1. You have an adorable son and he sure looks like he had a lot of fun haha. Glad to see he enjoyed. Thanks for sharing the experience he had with us.

  2. I would like to say that this blog really convinced me to do it! Thanks, very good post.
    Edmonton Dentist

  3. What a fantabulous post this has been. . I am grateful to you and expect more number of posts like these. Thank you very much.
    best dental clinic sw edmonton